The following strategies are used together to both reduce the latency and to minimize the side effects of any remaining latency:
Each of these will be described in succession.
- Lower the complexity of the virtual world.
- Improve rendering pipeline performance.
- Remove delays along the path from the rendered image to switching pixels.
- Use prediction to estimate future viewpoints and world states.
- Shift or distort the rendered image to compensate for last-moment viewpoint errors and missing frames.
Steven M LaValle